1. The Time Traveler's Wife by Audrey Niffenegger
Heartbreakingly good. A true classic.
2. Cold Mountain by Charles Frazier
Almost mythic in accomplishment. Made for the better movie than the above.
3. Career of Evil by Robert Galbraith
The best new book I read this year.
4. It's Superman! by Tom De Haven
A truly excellent prose interpretation of the famous superhero.
5. Only Revolutions by Mark Z. Danielewski
Genius experimental fiction.
6. Live Right and Find Happiness (Although Beer Is Much Faster) by Dave Barry
The reliable humorist in top form.
7. The Princess Bride by William Goldman
Surprisingly, better than the movie.
8. Heart-Shaped Box by Joe Hill
Proves to be as deft a writer as his old man.
9. Bitter Bronx by Jerome Charyn
A truly excellent collection of short stories from the literary master.
10. State of Fear by Michael Crichton
Works as fiction and nonfiction.